Episode 37: Part 2 - Invest in yourself and your brand - who are you, like really?
Music: “Just A Blip” by Andy G. Cohen
From the Free Music Archive
Released under a Creative Commons Attribution International License
- There's a wealth of benefits that can be gained from investing in yourself. Here's a look at just a few: Satisfaction. When you take the time, or make the time, to invest in yourself, you will be rewarded with a tremendous sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Whether you invest in fitness, health, or creative pursuits, the sense of accomplishment that comes when you achieve or finish something can be extremely beneficial and can do wonders for your mindset.
- Confidence. Deep down, we're often afraid to say yes to self-investments because we feel that we don't deserve it, or that we won't be able to experience the full benefit. But saying yes and making that initial investment in yourself—whether it's signing up for a workshop, going in for that checkup, or hiking that mountain—can boost your confidence tremendously; improving your outlook as well. When you have confidence, you can achieve more things than you ever thought possible, and will be able to set your sights higher, and reach those goals that you may have once thought out of reach.
- Stability. When you invest in something that will benefit you mentally—whether it's learning something new, or refining your skills, you'll be able to help to add more stability to your life. For many of us, we invest a lot in our employer, doing tasks that benefit them, at the expense of neglecting our own skills. But it's important to remember that no job is guaranteed. By developing and deepening your skills can work to create a more stable future.
"The best gift, and investment, you can give your child is your time." -Kevin Heath
- Connections. Investing in yourself can open the opportunity to forge new connections. Investing in relationships and people who mean a lot to you can help to deepen and strengthen others as well as yourself. Never underestimate the power of a good friend!
- Top 10 Ways to Invest in Yourself 1. Set goals. Learn how to set personal and business goals for yourself. If you're not taking the time to set goals it's like driving in the dark with the headlights turned off. You will not know where you're going and you will waste precious time. Be sure to also set some time frames in which to meet them. Your goals should be SMART goals -Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Timely.
"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked." -Warren Buffett
- 2. Honor your intuition. You can show yourself love by trusting your gut and honoring the message that it's sending. Listening to your intuition, will allow you to make better decisions. Valuing your intuition, by not allowing the thoughts, feelings or statements of others to take away from what you know to be true is very empowering. By paying attention to how you feel, it will help you to make better, smarter and quicker decisions.
- 3. Invest time in your creativity. Our creativity doesn't have to diminish as we get older. In fact, it is believed that the peak of creativity in most people is around 30-40 years old. (Lindaur, 1998, Marisiske &Willis, 1998) Creativity can be the catalyst in the manifestation of continual learning and lifelong activity. It allows us to be inspired, have fun and appreciate the beauty in the world.
"Old men are always advising young men to save money. That is bad advice. Don't save every nickel. Invest in yourself. I never saved a dollar until I was forty years old." -Henry Ford